- People trafficking is the fastest growing means by which people are enslaved, the fastest growing international crime, and one of the largest sources of income for organised crime.
- 1.2 million children are trafficked every year (Estimated by UNICEF),
- Human trafficking is the second largest source of illegal income worldwide exceeded only by drugs trafficking,
- Worldwide, almost 20% of all trafficking victims are children. However, in some parts of Africa and the Mekong region, children are the majority (up to 100% in parts of West Africa),
- About 2 million children are exploited every year in the global commercial sex trade,
- Sex trafficking – whether within a country or across national borders – violates basic human rights, including the rights to bodily integrity, equality, dignity, health, security, and freedom from violence and torture.